20 September 2011

Reading Aloud: Captains Courageous

Yesterday we started reading Captains Courageous by Rudyard Kipling. I must admit I love Rudyard Kipling even though he is no longer in vogue in academia. This novel is a stretch for my children because the prose are not what they prefer, but read aloud time is not always what they prefer or what comes easiest. It is also about stretching their listening ability and exposing them to literature they may not chose to read and literature their mother loves. I remember loving Captains Courageous because of the general theme of the young, spoiled brat enduring trials and tribulations to become a man. Troop is not the ideal role model but some of the qualities and skills he uses to mentor Harvey in becoming a man are qualities and skills we can all examine. This book is also affording the opportunity to discuss common courtesies and the language we use to address other people. I am grateful when a book challenges my ideals and values cementing what is important into my children's hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment